Stew Do Piaza Curry, also known as Chicken Do Piaza Curry, is a popular South Asian dish that originated in Pakistan and India. It is a flavorful and aromatic dish that features tender chicken pieces cooked in a rich, spicy gravy with lots of onions.
To make chicken do piaza curry, chicken is first marinated in a mixture of yogurt and spices like ginger, garlic, cumin, coriander, and turmeric. The chicken is then pan-fried until it is browned and cooked through. In a separate pan, onions are sautéed until they are caramelized and golden brown. Then, a blend of tomatoes, chili peppers, and additional spices is added to the onions and cooked until it forms a thick, rich gravy. The chicken is then added to the gravy and simmered until it is fully coated in the sauce and cooked through.
The dish is typically garnished with fresh coriander leaves and served with rice or naan bread. The name "do piaza" means "two onions," as the dish traditionally calls for the onions to be added twice during cooking. This dish is known for its bold flavors and is a delicious option for those who enjoy spicy and savory dishes.
Here's a recipe for Chicken Do Piaza Curry:
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 1 tsp ginger paste
- 1 tsp garlic paste
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 medium onions, thinly sliced
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 2 green chili peppers, chopped
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1/4 cup fresh coriander leaves, chopped
- In a large bowl, combine the chicken, yogurt, ginger paste, garlic paste, cumin powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder, chili powder, and salt. Mix well to coat the chicken in the marinade. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour, or up to overnight.
- Heat the oil in a large pan over medium-high heat. Add the onions and sauté until they are caramelized and golden brown, about 10-12 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, green chili peppers, and garam masala to the pan with the onions. Cook for 5-7 minutes, stirring frequently until the tomatoes have broken down and formed a thick sauce.
- Add the marinated chicken to the pan with the tomato sauce. Mix well to coat the chicken in the sauce.
- Cover the pan and simmer over medium heat for 15-20 minutes, or until the chicken is fully cooked through.
- Garnish with fresh coriander leaves and serve hot with rice or naan bread.
Enjoy your delicious Chicken Do Piaza Curry!